At CNU22, the authors of tactical urbanism got awards for their smart presentation of ideas that encourage urban spaces. Since hearing the term, I have thought that some of our signals work is similar, with distinct benefits for promoting urban form and multimodal travel.
1. Signal timing for speeds lower than allowed or signed
2. Pedestrian push buttons that shift green time (often tied to road diets)
3. Leading pedestrian intervals that provide priority to people walking
4. Maximum green times that limit the traffic that can pass a particular point
5. Signal coordination or lack thereof to prioritize pedestrians
6. Upstream metering with signal timing that stores traffic queues strategically
7. Every other cycle service for traffic calming/reduction purposes