Monday, January 9, 2012

Aren't you that Guy on Twitter

My wife went to a dinner party last night and came back with chuckling at my online presence preceding her. She was talking with a woman that follows me on Twitter and that's how the conversation started for her.

I got that last month at the Bike Gallery, the bike shop that I go when I am not at the neighborhood shop.

So, this post is for those of you reading the blog. Do you follow me on Twitter? Why am I doing this? Partly it goes back to something I read in the book: Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance.


A previous blog post focused on this, but he talked specifically about how you improve as a person, a researcher, a surgeon is that you write things down and share them. I believe this is true and when I travelled for work I read a lot and made notes about transportation policy. I was constantly scribbling in the books thinking through what I would do if I was in charge of the transportation system. What are the decisions that I would make? How would things be different? How would the policies better match the communities needs? It's something that I am trying to continue in this current day, as my job becomes less about writing a report, but more about making good decisions based on the political, technical, and financial realities that we face.

Sort of a strange retrospective blog post, but it is still close to the New Year, so it is within the time when you can still reflect on a year gone by, right?

No comments: